Imagen | Teatro Palacio Valdés
Imagen | Teatro Palacio Valdés
Palacio Valdés Theatre

The Palacio Valdés Theatre is the main scenic space in the region, together with the just opened Auditorium of the Niemeyer Centre. Started to be built the 5th of August 1900 by Manuel del Busto, and after 20 years of building works and inactivity of them due to some economic problems, was inaugurated in 1920, being named after the distinguished writer Armando Palacio Valdés, adopted child of the village- he spent his childhood in Avilés living in number 8 of Rivero Street, where today you can see a commemorative plaque- who came to the premiere. Until 1972 all type of performances were played, and also was used as a cinema.

20 years without using it caused a huge deterioration of the building in both the exterior and the interior part. In spite of this it was declared “Heritage of Cultural Interest” with the category of Monument the 28th of December 1982. It was restored, keeping the original image and structure, after became ownership of the municipality and after many building works. It was reopened in 1992. Its interior- with a capacity for 750 members of the audience in its stalls, boxes and galleries- is a cute coliseum of Italian style and its exterior front shows some modernist characteristics.

Nowadays it is part of the “Spanish net of Theatres, Scenarios, Auditoriums, Circuits and Public Festivals”; it has a steady program, every Friday, in which the theatre activity dominates and it is complemented by music, opera and dance performances. It has acquired huge reputation within the world of the scenic arts; yearly many national performances are played for the first time; in its stage has been significant actors such as Kevin Spacy, the dancer (bailaora) María Pagés, Verónica Forqué with the national opening of the play written by Woody Allen “Adulterios” or the adaptation of “Macbeth of Vanesa Martínez, amongst others.

Planning January-May 2012.
Imagen | Teatro Palacio Valdés
a world of sensations